As the weather gets colder and your cheeks get redder, it’s time to cozy up with your warmer clothes. If you’ve been looking at your closet and finding it somewhat lacking, read on for tips to help you invigorate your wardrobe while keeping your style and wallet intact. You may also want to check out these trends for different body types.
Back to Basics
Having an assortment of colors and styles to choose from is an essential aspect of every closet. Being able to mix and match with what you already have will keep you from being limited to only a few outfits. Prevent yourself from becoming bored with your attire and spending more to compensate. Take a look at this checklist for some wardrobe basics:
- Tops – Shirts and blouses with an array of necklines are the key components of both casual and professional apparel. The right blazer will smooth the transition from day to evening wear.
- Bottoms – Jeans, Khakis, Trousers – With these, it’s the cut of the leg and waist that matters. Try on different styles to see what works best for you. Lower waists are fashionable right now, but beware of going too low. A wide cut may distract from larger hips while narrow cuts accentuate shapely legs.
- Sweaters, Cardigans & Wraps – Layering is your best friend during cold weather. Don’t get stuck in the same old sweaters. Change things up with a longer cardigan or a cropped jacket to polish things off.
- Outerwear – Finding a warm coat that delivers both a color to favor your skin tone and a shape that flatters your figure with a streamlined silhouette can be difficult, but the result is definitely worth it.
A great place to start for many of these basics is a department store like Macy’s, Nordstrom or Saks Fifth Avenue. Macy’s has a lot of deals throughout the year and offers a wide selection of price ranges.
Accents and Accessories
A few feminine touches can make all the difference. Stand out by combining a simple outfit with detailed jewelry or accessories. Choose the prints and patterns that highlight your tastes.
- Scarves – These small swatches of fabric are the simplest way to add a splash of color to your ensemble. Try out a look by taking advantage of the versatile nature of scarves.
- Hats – Keep your head warm and snug with a hat to match your handbag.
- Belts – The centerpiece of your outfit, belts should not be overlooked. They can be both functional and decorative, whether you choose one made of leather or a colorful fabric.
- Bags – Your essentials need not travel without style. Shop with the best deals on your perfect pack at our Luggage, Backpacks & Handbags page.
Fall is all about combining neutral and jewel tones. Having a variety of fabrics allows for various textures to provide comfort and a more finished look. Color blocking is still very trendy and is as simple as using lighter colors to emphasize your best features. Looking your best is about feeling great as you take your final turn in front of the mirror before heading out to conquer the day. Cheers!